10/19/10

My Morning Jacket Week Has Begun!


I have been waiting excitedly for months just for this week to arrive.
My Morning Jacket.  Five nights.  Five albums.
Can you imagine what it would be like for your favorite band to do something as amazing as this?
The boys started their five show run with their very first album. released in 1999, Tennessee Fire, also the most under the radar and probably least popular album.  There were a few moments when Jim James' voice cracked and the sound was a bit off at times, but I blame that on Terminal 5!  They have never played some of these songs live EVER, which is pretty impressive when you realize that two of the founding members who helped produce this album are no longer in the band (due to family commitments/hectic tour schedule), including Johnny Quaid (guitarist) who made a guest appearance last night--something MMJ fans might not see again.  The bassist, Two Tone Tommy, and Jim James, are the only two original players.  The band as a whole proved they can rock hard, and damn good, to just about anything.
I've never seen James so thankful and humbled for the audience that came out to hear a record he thought would only sell ten copies.
My Morning Jacket, The Bear
My Morning Jacket, Evelyn Is Not Real
My Morning Jacket, Rocket Man
I was positively shocked when they played a boatload of covers throughout their seven song encore, including Elton John's Rocket Man, Erykah Badu's Tyrone, Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit, and Rod Stewart's Hot Legs.
The best part of the night was being surrounded by fellow MMJ lovers who head banged right along with James, even harder than Kate and myself. 
I just can't wait for the rest of the week...it's going to get better and better every night!
Tonight's show @ Terminal 5: At Dawn

No comments:

Live. Breathe. Drink. Love. Laugh. Eat. Play. Listen.