10/22/10

My Morning Jacket: It Still Moves

It Still Moves & Rocks My Soul.
This album is an ode to love, with lyrics that are so genius and beautiful you will get lost in them.
"but my heart. can't. wait. to. meet you on the other side"
"bang. bang goes the night, all wrapped up in the firelight, don't rock bottom, just listen. just slow down"
"what does it mean to feel? millions of dreams come real, a feelin' in my soul i'd never felt before...and you always told me. no matter how long it holds me, if it falls apart or makes us millionaires. you'll be right here forever. we'll go thru this thing together, and on heaven's golden shore we'll lay our heads"
"oh you had me, wrapped up in your mystery...when the light vanished from on high, oh i'll never say i knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side"
"the brain melts in the twilight with the boar and moving trees, your skin looks good in moonlight and god damn those shaky knees the fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need"
"babe. there's just one thing, one thing that does it. does it for me. babe. we'll find a way, we'll go out for a day and i want it so bad! it's the first thing i see when i wake"

As I imagined, it's getting more surreal and ethereal as every night passes.  How will they top this?  My Morning Jacket was joined on stage by former guitarist Johnny Quaid, former keyboardist Danny Cash, the Elvis Perkins in Dearland band (also the opener), and members from the Levon Helm band, throughout the night.
Besides hearing my favorite record of all time, the highlight of the night was "It Makes No Difference," originally by The Band and performed by MMJ on Endless Highway - A Tribute To The Band.  If you haven't heard about Levon Helm's Midnight Ramble in Woodstock, NY, take it from Gregg who went two weeks ago (when MMJ opened) and proclaimed, "it was the single greatest musical experience of my life."  Don't ask me why I had to miss it.

Thursday's Encore (!!!!!):
"Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You," Bob Dylan
"How Could I Know"
"Sooner"
"Head Held High," The Velvet Underground
It Makes No Difference, The Band, performed by My Morning Jacket
"All Night Long," Lionel Richie

Yeah...that last one was a shocker!  We heard this in 2009 at MSG for New Years.  Classic.

And in honor of tomorrow, get a load of this:)


Tonight, get ready for some Z!!!

No comments:

Live. Breathe. Drink. Love. Laugh. Eat. Play. Listen.