10/20/10

My Morning Jacket: At Dawn


Wow. Wow. Wow.  This week is absolute heaven!
Before getting into the completely outrageous encore, let me just say that as a whole, At Dawn is an exceptional album, and a favorite among many, but there were a few clear stand-outs.  The black-lit painted curtains dramatically opened for "At Dawn" and they plowed through the regulars, "Lowdown" and "The Way That He Sings," ending the latter with a nice little jam.  Here's where it slows down and turns into the Jim James show, but I'm not complaining.
Now My Morning Jacket can jam, but after going to so many shows, and if you take a listen to Okonokos, you can tell that the jamming sequences happen in the same part of a song and sound very similar at every show (yet utterly awesome every time).  Last night's "Phone Went West," which is personally my favorite tune on the album, was the best version to date.  I've never heard them jam out SO long and beautifully before, and Johnny Quaid made another appearance here.
My Morning Jacket, At Dawn
My Morning Jacket, Phone Went West

This week is full of surprises, covers and encores that would blow anyone's mind--and Patrick, the drummer, really stood out tonight.
Who knew they would bust out hard rock songs such as Danzig's "How The Gods Kill" and Black Sabbath's "Black Sabbath"!  It's shocking, unheard of, and wonderful all at the same time.
Finally, thank you for my very own present wrapped up with a card reading:
Dear Eve,
We're playing "Miss You" by the Rolling Stones, just for you darling. 
With Love, My Morning Jacket
My favorite band covering my other favorite band!  That song, and this week, is one of the best musical experiences of my life.  I went to sleep with the biggest smile on my face.
After It Still Moves, what will they play next???

No comments:

Live. Breathe. Drink. Love. Laugh. Eat. Play. Listen.